Solving carpet beetle infestations across Brisbane
Carpet beetles feed on a wide range of animal-based items, including silk, leather, fur, wool and animal hair. As a result, carpet beetles may infest carpets, upholstered furniture, blankets, coats, comforters, wool, pillows and clothing.
Generally, there are three types of beetles which are classified as carpet beetles and which are most dangerous when it comes to the destruction of carpets and other fabrics.
While carpet beetles will be seen outdoors hovering on flowers, the larvae will be found indoors. It is the larvae of the beetle that lives and feasts on your fabrics. In more ways than one, a carpet beetle resembles a lady beetle. They have rounded bodies and have short antennae. At times, you might easily and accidentally carry an adult carpet beetle into your home from where it will establish its territory.
Managing carpet beetles in Brisbane
Carpet beetles are some of the toughest pests to control because they can find easy food in the most obscure places in your home. Moreover, they are able to disperse themselves easily around a room or your home. The most effective way of controlling the infestation of these pests is to combine both exclusion and sanitation techniques.
For many years, we have been helping homeowners get rid of carpet beetles. We have acquired a lot of knowledge on carpet beetles and this helps us not only remove the beetles but also prevent future attacks. Because it is hard at times to know whether your home is under attack from carpet beetles or something else, we do offer regular inspection services. This helps to identify the larvae and at the same time provide useful measures you can take to prevent an attack.
Preventing carpet beetle infestations
Like almost every other insect, carpet beetles are primarily looking for food and a home when they enter your home. By knowing the food they are after and the type of shelter they are prefer, it becomes quite easy to prevent their infestation.
We use most techniques to identify a carpet beetle invasion. Our techniques have been approved and they are environmentally safe. At Progressive Pest Management, we are experts in eradicating carpet beetles from your home.
The dangers that carpet beetles pose
There are normally three types of carpet beetles:
- Varied carpet beetle
- Furniture carpet beetle and
- Black carpet beetle
Carpet beetles are known to cause havoc in many homes especially if their presence goes undetected. Here are some of the things that these larvae are known to do:
- They feed on natural fabrics. This simply means that all your natural garments from carpets to cotton shirts are in danger of being attacked by these insects. A good way of knowing whether your home is under attack from these insects is if you find big holes on any of your natural fabrics such as carpets, blankets or furniture upholstery. At times, the larvae will chew on your synthetic fabrics in order to encase themselves.
- Carpet beetles will get in bed with you and when they come into contact with your skin, you will develop a rash. Such rashes are itchy and this might cause you to severely scratch your skin. Oftentimes, these larvae are confused with bedbugs both in the way they appear and the aftermath of their bites.
- The carpet beetle larvae will feed on almost anything that is in your home. From book spines to soiled clothing, you can rest assured that these larvae can be found on literally anything in your home. The fact that the larvae can feed on anything and silently stay in your home means it is extremely hard to control or eradicate them. It is therefore of great importance that you use a professional whenever you come across a beetle.
- Your hair has essential oils which attract the carpet beetles larvae. While the larvae are nibbling at your hair, they will crawl all over your body when you are asleep. This might cause some people to develop rashes.