The heat of summer brings out the worst in pests. And living in a temperate climate such as Brisbane means we get a few extra bugs and reptiles to deal will. Here are the top 4 pests we find in Brisbane homes, and how to deal with them.
Tips for pest control in Brisbane during the Summer months and what to watch out for
No other pest is more heavily associated with summer than the Mosquito. From backyards to beaches and everywhere in between, most Brisbane residents encounter a mosquito bite (or a few) over summer. Whilst many of us are aware of the personal insect repellents available (we mentioned some in our last posts), there are additional factors which can help reduce the presence of mosquitoes around your home this summer:
- Keep on top of your lawn mowing
- Eliminate standing water
- Keep your pool clean
- Light citronella candles or coils outside
- Ensure your garden beds are cleared and tidy
- Use professional pest control Brisbane services to treat your home
Ants are a common problem in the Brisbane during the summer. With Brisbane’s subtropical climate, we’re prone to a few summer storms and rain periods. During this time, ants are likely to seek out dry shelter and this is usually inside our homes. Wet ground drives ants to find a new location for their colony. Their requirements are a food and water source. That makes your kitchen (with a stocked pantry and a little water left in the sink) the perfect nesting place. Here are our top tips for avoiding an ant infestation in your home:
- Ensure your sink and counters are dry as much as possible (perhaps a wipe down before work, and before bed)
- Put all sugary foods in the fridge (ants are drawn to foods like jam, maple syrup, and open sugar packets)
- Don’t allow your pets to graze on dry food. Put in a sealed container and ensure they eat in one sitting (then clear away their bowl)
- If you have an ant trail, clean it away using vinegar or lemon juice mixed with water. Ants leave chemical trails to help them relocate a discovered food source.
- Use professional pest control Brisbane services to conduct a thorough inspection and implement a treatment plan around your home. We can create a barrier to deter ants in the first place.
Whilst flies are considered more of a nuisance than dangerous, flies feed off rotting meat and then will land on your kitchen benchtop and food which can spread diseases. To keep flies to a minimum in Summer, here are our top tips:
- Keep doors and windows shut (especially when preparing food) to avoid enticing them into your home.
- Regularly empty your home rubbish bin, and keep a lid on it.
- Freeze any meat scraps until bin night where you can put it directly in your wheelie bin.
- Get in touch with us to discuss our pest control Brisbane services where we can locate the source of the flies.
A pest of the reptile variety, snakes can pose a serious and life-threatening danger to Brisbane residents. And with summer being peak snake season, it’s important to know how to protect yourself and your family.
- Maintain a tidy yard, ensuring you don’t leave piles of garden waste. This makes a great hideout for a snake.
- Encourage children not to climb into dense garden beds.
- Use a torch to illuminate your path when going outside at night.
- Wear enclosed shoes and long pants if walking through dense bushland.
- Be wary when going into garden sheds.
If you do see a snake, don’t try to catch or kill it, as this is when the majority of snake bites occur. Call a snake catcher Brisbane to safely find, trap, remove and relocate the snake.