With all the rain in Brisbane as of late, you may have noticed ants making their way into your home. Learn more about ants and how to manage them.
How many species of ants are there in Australia?
There are just over 1,302 ant species in Australia covering all types of environments throughout every state and territory.
Are ants dangerous to humans and/or pets?
There are a number of Australian ant species which have a painful bite. These include bull ants, jumper ants, and jack jumper ants. Whilst these types of ants won’t necessarily kill everyone they bite, there have been cases where their bites have caused anaphylaxis and even causing death.
How do I know if I have an ant infestation?
There are a few obvious signs that you have an ant infestation in or around your home
- Live ants – if you see large numbers of ants in your home (perhaps in your kitchen) you must act fast.
- Ant trails – running from the outside to the inside. Some species leave pheromone trails to assist the rest of the colony to locate the food source.
- Ant nest – you might find small piles of dirt which are in fact ant nests.
How big can ant colonies get?
Ant colonies range from a few dozen ants, all the way up to a few thousand. The size of the colony depends on the species, environment and how long the colony has been established.
How can I get rid of ants on my own?
There are a number of lifestyle changes you can make to get rid of ants. Sometimes this is all it takes and ants will stay outside. This includes:
- Ensuring all wet areas (kitchen, bathroom & laundry) are completely dry, most of the day
- Put all opened pantry food in airtight containers
- Don’t allow your pets to “graze” by leaving their food out all day
- Cleaning up any crumbs or food scraps after meal preparation in the kitchen
- Using a vinegar/lemon juice/water mixture to clear away ant trails
For more information about how to get rid of ants, read this post.
Does using a professional make a difference?
If you’ve tried the above remedies to get rid of ants and they’re still making tracks through your home, it’s time to call in the professionals.
Pest controllers like Progressive Pest Management have access to professional chemical treatments which are safe for you family and pets, yet effectively eradicate ants in your home or business.
For more information about what we can do to get rid of ants, read this post.
If you require professional assistance to get rid of ants in your home, contact David at Progressive Pest Management for friendly advice and specialist service.